• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Heads-up! The site will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, September 21, 2024, starting at 11:00 PM UTC (7:00 PM Eastern Time). During this time, the site will be temporarily offline, but rest assured, everything will be backed up beforehand. Thank you for your understanding!

- Fords8

Are senior citizens expected to pay medical expenses from their savings?

neku

Community Advocate
Literary Virtuoso
Registered Member
Reaction score
Website
freeearning.net
D Bucks
💵3.250313
Referral Credit
Are senior citizens expected to pay medical expenses, especially hospitalization expenses from their savings? Or are the relatives of the senior citizen expected to pay the hospital bills, even if they are not the nominee for the savings?

In some cases, the senior citizen may be seriously sick or not conscious, so it is difficult for the senior citizen to access their funds, their relatives have to use their own money or find out the procedure to access the savings.

In some cases, the senior citizen may be seriously sick or not conscious, so it is difficult for the senior citizen to access their funds, their relatives have to use their own money or find out the procedure to access the savings.
My own dad has made his ATM pin known to all his children. Why would you be having savings and it can't be used to rescue you? That's gibberish.

My parents are senior citizens. My father is retired from a good government job so all his medical expenses are taken care by the government and he doesn't need to spend a penny from his savings. He gets monthly pension which higher than a normal employed person.

I think the government should take care of the medical expenses of senior citizens. Here in India we have a culture that kids take care of their parents when they get old and when have no source of income.

If they don't have a pension or insurance, they'll end up paying out of pocket.

For such people either government or their kids should take the responsibility. But only in developed countries I have seen the government does that.

Are senior citizens expected to pay medical expenses, especially hospitalization expenses from their savings? Or are the relatives of the senior citizen expected to pay the hospital bills, even if they are not the nominee for the savings?
It depends on the country and how civilized they are. In most poor countries, senior citizens do pay their medical bills or else they will die. In civilized society where things work as it suppose, senior citizens are well taken care of.

In the Philippines, there's PHILHEALTH and all seniors are entitled to free check up and medications but there's limit of an amount especially when there's an operation to undergo.

Here, not all the senior citizens get this facility, only the ex government employees get it. You have to pay yearly installment for medical expenses.

In India it's better to have a insurance policy. As a senior citizen I buy my medicines from my pension even though I have a insurance which they will let me use it if I am hospitalized.

But they need to also disclosure this information to people near them Incase of emergency so that their funds can be accessed easily

12,091Threads
93,199Messages
290Members
Medo24Latest member