• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Heads-up! The site will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, September 21, 2024, starting at 11:00 PM UTC (7:00 PM Eastern Time). During this time, the site will be temporarily offline, but rest assured, everything will be backed up beforehand. Thank you for your understanding!

- Fords8

Do you set aside some money in a jar?

freelancermaria

Discussion Guru
Bronze Supporter
Literary Virtuoso
Registered Member
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵0.537063
Referral Credit
I have developed a habit of saving some cash in a mason jar ever since I realized how important it is to save money. Last year, I decided to use my unused jar as my savings container, and I was able to save almost $150. Although it was not that much, it was still a significant help in my savings journey.

I used to do it before during elementary and high school days, and I open it every Christmas.

I don't use these methods to save money because they won't do any good if they just sit there. Better methods would be investments or even small deposits in the bank to cover inflation. However, if you collect very small amounts, you can try to understand how much you can save during the year and then invest these funds

I once used a jar when I was young. I got the idea from one of the popular TV shows of those times. But then jar was easy to open and I would often get tempted to open and take out some to spend. I didn't save much. Then I switched to piggy banks that we had to break when full( make of clay). That was very effective and I did do decent savings at the end.
It's been a long time since I have used them. I am mostly into cashless transactions these days.

I never keep money in a jar, but I have a habit of putting change in a desk drawer, both at work and at home, sometimes I'm amazed when I see the drawer is almost full.
I can totally relate to that! There are times when I stash away some cash in my drawers and then completely forget about it. It's quite amusing when I stumble upon it unexpectedly. Haha.
Post automatically merged:

I have one piggy bank where I throw my 10 and 20 pesos coins. I was able to save almost $700.I cannot believe my eyes. It's good to have a small savings at home. I started keeping coins in a piggy bank at age 11.
Wow, that is a huge amount of money! When I was younger, I had a piggy bank, but I did not really take it seriously. However, keeping small savings at home can be helpful, if done correctly. Of course, this may not work for everyone, since some people may find it easy to spend the money. Therefore, self-discipline is essential.
Post automatically merged:

I once used a jar when I was young. I got the idea from one of the popular TV shows of those times. But then jar was easy to open and I would often get tempted to open and take out some to spend. I didn't save much. Then I switched to piggy banks that we had to break when full( make of clay). That was very effective and I did do decent savings at the end.
It's been a long time since I have used them. I am mostly into cashless transactions these days.
Jars are indeed easy to open, but if you lack self-discipline, you might end up spending the money you saved without even realizing it. It is quite tempting. Hehe. That is why piggy banks are a better option because breaking them open is not so easy. They help you save better without giving in to your impulses.

Last edited:
Now a days, I am mostly into digital transactions and cashless transactions. I have one separate account where I keep all my online earnings. If there is something left in my regular account after all expenditure, planned savings and investments, I transfer that amount into the extra amount. I let the money grow there and use it only if there is an emergency. When it becomes a decent amount, I either buy something that I want to invest the accumulated money.

It might look old fashioned but if you can keep the jar without having to touch it impulsively on need, it would still save you bank charges if you had saved it in the bank.
Yeah it doesn't matter what you are using, the most thing is that you are setting aside money for the future which is very important

I bought a new piggy bank. This new piggy bank is intended for my expenses during summer. I plan to go to Japan. I will not spend my money saved in the bank. I drip there 1000, 200 ad 500 peso bills daily.
That would be fun too. Those daily deposits there might not seem too much. But then over a period of time with the same financial discipline and consistency of depositing those bills in the piggy bank, you will end up having a decent savings. It's surprising at times to see how little pennies add up to a big amount. I am sure that you are going to have your visit to Japan very soon.

That would be fun too. Those daily deposits there might not seem too much. But then over a period of time with the same financial discipline and consistency of depositing those bills in the piggy bank, you will end up having a decent savings. It's surprising at times to see how little pennies add up to a big amount. I am sure that you are going to have your visit to Japan very soon.
I was able to raise $700. I didn't mind how much I threw inside my old piggy bank. I am always thrilled to save some coins and bills.It becomes my habit hehe. I started doing it when I was a child.

12,056Threads
92,980Messages
289Members
KeraLatest member