• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Just a heads-up: I'll be updating the site on Saturday, September 21, 2024, around 7 PM Eastern Time. The site will be temporarily offline during this process, but I'll make sure to back everything up before starting. Thanks fords8!

Do you still have a landline (desk phone) at your houses or do you only use the mobile?

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
D Bucks
💵1.408275
Referral Credit
Until my early adult age, a desk phone was very common in the European countries. In Latin America, it's still common even today (we can't have a domestic wifi without a desk phone because our national provider company won't install a fiber if we won't accept the desk phone). Desk phone is still necessary here to access free national calls to universities and offices. But I know people in European countries got rid of their landline because their mobile is enough and they can have a fiber without the obligation of a desk phone.They spare money, using only their mobile to make calls. Only the third aged not accustomed to technologies still maintain a desk phone at their homes.

We do have a landline connection, but it's hardly used. Most of our work is done through the smartphones that we have. Our landline is for WiFi connection. It's also used as intercom in our apartment. Each apartment unit has access to it. So, it's convenient and free to talk to people staying in our apartment.

Yes, the point is we must pay the line rent even during the months we don't use the desk phone. But in my country we cannot get rid of our landlines or we get obliged to also get rid of the wifi coming together with desk phones. I suppose if the landline weren't compulsory, we'd pay half of the rent amount.

We only have landline in our house before in the city. When we moved back to the province we only use our mobile phone. With the advent of mobile phones landlines are no longer that functional and the local telephone service here got bankrupt. The existing landlines here are mostly attached to the internet.

Here the local telephone service, practically has the monopoly. The telephone company offers fiber together with the landline, so it's impossible to face bankruptcy. Mobile data here is so shamefully expensive at the point a lot of people can't rely only on a mobile.

In our house, although we still pay for the WIFI subscription (Ultrafibra FTTH Vodafone) which also includes the landline phone, we don't even own this device anymore. We had four mobile phones, which now have three left because mine was seized by the police (you know the reason for this), but we have no discount as there is still no telephone provider that offers mondem WIFI o cable, without subscription to a landline number. We are the ones who decided to disconnect and discard our fixed appliance, as only scam advertising calls were arriving! Meanwhile now our relatives or friends only call with their cell phones and often using WhatsApp.​

12,043Threads
92,893Messages
288Members
gwolf666Latest member