• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Heads-up! The site will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, September 21, 2024, starting at 11:00 PM UTC (7:00 PM Eastern Time). During this time, the site will be temporarily offline, but rest assured, everything will be backed up beforehand. Thank you for your understanding!

- Fords8

Do You Think It is a Great Idea to Hire Family Members for Your Business?

freelancermaria

Discussion Guru
Bronze Supporter
Literary Virtuoso
Registered Member
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵0.537063
Referral Credit
I raised this question because I recently watched a video about hiring family members for your business, and the speaker stated that it is not a good idea. Conflicts may arise along the way, and they lack the requisite skills, knowledge, or expertise to assist the business prosper. Undoubtedly, it can hurt the business. Do you think it is a great idea to hire family members for your business?

This kind of situation must be handled with utmost care unless it can erode family bonds and destroy relationships. I personally don't like family getting close to business. They should stay in their positions as family.
Yes, it can ruin relationships, especially if family members take advantage of the business. Some people believe hiring family members is beneficial. I suppose it is case-by-case basis.

There have been lots of opinions about this topic. Personally I think it depends on your family. You know your family best, can you work with them? Do you trust them? Having a family member has its advantages and as well disadvantages.

I would say that as long as you can trust the family member in question then bringing them into your business wouldn't be an issue as long as there are strict guidelines in place and they are happy to follow them.

Having family members hired by you for your business could be great work experience for them.

According to me, l think that is not a good idea at all. The moment you employed your family members to your company that is the end of your business. That's because most family members would not be accountable for the mistakes that they commit on the day to day running of the business

It depends on the type of relationship you have with your family members. If they are dependable, you can go ahead and hire them. But if they are not trustworthy, keep them off your business. Business should not be taken as charity organizations.

It is always a risk trying to toe that path of having your family members work for you. I have shared somewhere how I had my last born as my accountant. She spent my business money with impunity and almost rendered the business bankrupt and I couldn't do anything to her because she was family.

What's the issue with hiring family members who have skills and knowledge to work on the designated job? However, hiring someone just because he or she is your family member and lacks skill is not good.

There have been lots of opinions about this topic. Personally I think it depends on your family. You know your family best, can you work with them? Do you trust them? Having a family member has its advantages and as well disadvantages.

I could not agree more with you. Ultimately, it is up to you to answer that question. Given that you know your family quite well, you are probably in the best position to make the right decision. However, if your family members lack the necessary skills, and you do not fully trust them, especially when it comes to handling finances, it is probably best to avoid hiring them.
Post automatically merged:

I think it's a bad idea because they're definitely not going to work as regular workers and they're going to want a raise and they're also going to want to be treated special so I'd never do it

It is quite common that when you hire family members, they may feel entitled to things they do not deserve. They may even ask for a raise, even if their performance does not merit it.

I would say that as long as you can trust the family member in question then bringing them into your business wouldn't be an issue as long as there are strict guidelines in place and they are happy to follow them.

Having family members hired by you for your business could be great work experience for them.

If you are confident that they are responsible, reliable, and will comply with all the guidelines, then go ahead and hire them. However, if you have any doubts, it would be better to find other individuals who can contribute to the success of your business.

According to me, l think that is not a good idea at all. The moment you employed your family members to your company that is the end of your business. That's because most family members would not be accountable for the mistakes that they commit on the day to day running of the business

It is a common happening when hiring family members that they may not feel responsible for their mistakes. This is one of the downsides of having relatives as employees. Since they think you won't be too hard on them, they might assume they can get away with more.

It depends on the type of relationship you have with your family members. If they are dependable, you can go ahead and hire them. But if they are not trustworthy, keep them off your business. Business should not be taken as charity organizations.

I agree that it depends on the circumstances when it comes to hiring family or relatives. If they have a reliable track record, then it is worth considering. However, I also believe that running a business should not be treated like a charity case. Some family members may take advantage of your success and become opportunistic.

Sure, don't just hire a family member but one thsg have all that it takes to deliver. You would get frustrated if yhr person isn't doing well.

Keep in mind that just because someone is a family member does not mean that they are automatically qualified to work for you. If you can't trust them or they lack the necessary skills, it might be better to consider hiring someone from outside the family. After all, you want to make sure that your business is in good hands.

You get the advantage of having loyal staff members with your family members. Most would always look out for your interests above that of others because of family bonds. Other staff can't easily plot against you.

Yes, I hope that is the case for everyone, but is not. Some family members can take advantage of you.

It's my sister I hired to take charge of my milk tea business. There's no problem if hire our family. There's trust and sincerity. Blood is thicker than water.

You are blessed, my friend, because not all relatives have your best interests at heart. Some may be envious and exploit your kindness. When they make grave mistakes, they expect you to let it slide. Others may request a raise they do not deserve, hoping to earn money without exerting any effort.

Last edited:
12,059Threads
92,988Messages
289Members
KeraLatest member