Equal Opportunity or Equity. Which one do you prefer?

Joshua Farrell

Administrator (Profit Partner)
Staff member
Profit Partner
Gold Supporter
Novice Scribe
Registered Member
Solutions
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵44.696325
Referral Credit
CryptoCrest of Prosperity NFT [Ultra Rare]
For those who don't actually know the difference, here is the basics.

Equal Opportunity in the most basic sense of the definition, is that everyone has equal chance for both getting something (whether it be a job, a loan, or an apartment), and an equal chance at an outcome from whatever was sought after.

Equity essentially means that you still get an equal opportunity and treatment like everyone to do things, but the outcome isn't the same. The basic idea behind equity, is that you get a fair and impartial chance at doing a job or getting something, but it doesn't mean you will get the same result as the person sitting next to you.

Out of the above, which do you prefer?

Honestly, I prefer equity over equal opportunity, as I don't want to end up loosing things like a job, because the business desides that in order for them to offer an equal opportunity for various groups of people to work with them, that they have to fire people to be able to offer an equal opportunity.

Equity in the job environment, really means that you are proving whether or not you can do your job, not just because you fill the qualifications to meet being hired.

Every time I see an "equal opportunity" job provider that shows in the news and by word of mouth that they are indeed hiring based on "equal opportunity", I get the feeling that they are hiring people soley to fill certain types of numbers, based on social norms, instead of actual experience and qualifications.

This time, it is the actual experience and the educational qualifications as the basis of hiring employees in my country, especially in the university where I work. Those who were hired because of nepotism will not be rehired in the next year.

13,039Threads
98,081Messages
304Members
bhagvatprasadamLatest member