How long does it take a typical smartphone battery to become completely weak, needing replacement? | Discussion Bucks

How long does it take a typical smartphone battery to become completely weak, needing replacement?

King Belieal

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Gold Supporter
Literary Virtuoso
Oct 1, 2023
D Bucks
💵0.608330
Referral Credit
Everything in life has a window which if it exceeds that period, depreciation enters. Same thing is surely applicable to electronics. How long does it take the battery of smartphones to start becoming weak and needing replacements? 2 years or 3 years?

Normally, it depends on usage and half life of a battery. Most smartphone battery have more than 3 years life span. Another factor that contributes to battery longevity is usage. Phone battery need constant charging at least once daily. Overcharging and using another charger that is not adaptable to your phone capacity canxaffect battery life

My Samsung A9 is 5 years old. Despite such a period and its weak battery that only counts on 3000MaH, I don't see the need of replacements. It's still in a very good condition.

My Samsung A9 is 5 years old. Despite such a period and its weak battery that only counts on 3000MaH, I don't see the need of replacements. It's still in a very good condition.
It could be that the you are not a very heavy phone user. Someone that uses a smartphone very heavily would not find 3000mah battery fashionable.

No, I'm not. I mostly use the A9 for banking purposes and to keep in contact with my cousins abroad, church's members and students. I have a second phone, a Motorola, and I mostly run pay to play apps using this one. In any way, I'm still not a heavy phone user, even mostly using the Motorola. This latter has a 5000 MaH battery, so it's better I run there pay to play apps.

Someone that uses a smartphone very heavily would not find 3000mah battery fashionable.
I still wonder why Samsung put such a miserable battery in a 128 giga ROM, 6 giga RAM, quad camera phone :rolleyes: . A very well featured phone, not counting the battery.

It depends upon usage and care of battery, we must not charge it at 90% and don't let it go down below 50. My smartphone batteries are running smoothly from 4 years.

How you use the battery plays a major role in this aspect. Though the lifespan of most phones is usually two to three years. After this period of time, the capacity of the battery decreases.

No, I'm not. I mostly use the A9 for banking purposes and to keep in contact with my cousins abroad, church's members and students. I have a second phone, a Motorola, and I mostly run pay to play apps using this one. In any way, I'm still not a heavy phone user, even mostly using the Motorola. This latter has a 5000 MaH battery, so it's better I run there pay to play apps.

I still wonder why Samsung put such a miserable battery in a 128 giga ROM, 6 giga RAM, quad camera phone :rolleyes: . A very well featured phone, not counting the battery.
I don't seem to understand why they would do that for a phone with such powerful specs. Maybe they had a highly optimized operating system that doesn't take up battery life.

It all boils down to your phone usage. If you are a heavy user, you might need to replace your battery in two to three years. In addition, the way you charge your phone also affects the battery life. It is best to avoid using it while it is charging.