How many languages are in your country?

Reaction score
D Bucks
💵1.412250
Referral Credit
In my country there are a lots of languages that are speakable in the country, their are more than 86 languages, and i know its a lot, most of the people in my country speak Afroasiatic languages of the Cushitic or Semitic branches, and from those Amharic, Oromifa, Tigregna, Somali and Afar languages are more spoken, but the sad thing is i only speak only two of them.
What about in your country, how many languages are there and how many of them do you speak?

I just checked Google, it says in Indonesia there are around 720 languages. I don't understand all the languages here, I only know Javanese as a regional language and Indonesian as a national language and of course English as an international language.

I just checked Google, it says in Indonesia there are around 720 languages. I don't understand all the languages here, I only know Javanese as a regional language and Indonesian as a national language and of course English as an international language.
What?! 720 languages, i mean whattttt?!! That is really amazing, i don't know what to say but wow, imagine how much languages will be on the world. I can't imagine it.

Over here in my country we have over 500 plus languages but the major ones are Hausa, igbo and yuroba. The rest are considered as minors. Funny thing is that i dont think i even know up to 50 of these languages, i have only heard about a few.

In the United States? Oh, my. The official census says there are over 350 languages spoken here, even though a lot of people insist that English is the official language. (It's not. It's just a commonly spoken language. Spanish and Chinese are spoken quite frequently as well among Americans.)

In the Brazil, the official language is only Portuguese, but there are more than 100 native Indians south Americans languages. In spite of being a partially native Indian, my husband speaks none of them because my parents-in-law, in their turn, didn't speak any. Nor I speak any of them, as I was raised up in an European country. So I speak European and Latin American languages, out of Portuguese. I speak Spanish, my habilitation teaching language (variants from Spain, Argentina and Mexico) and Italian. I also speak English, as studied since the primary school, even if I don't own the same level of Portuguese, Italian and Spanish. My husband speaks English too, as he studied English in the school too.

the official language is only Portuguese,
What?! I thought the official language of Brazil was Spanish, i thought Spanish language was used in alot of south America, wow thank you for letting me know that, but you speak a lots of international languages, but i have a question the Portuguese used in your country is it similar with European Portuguese ?

What?! I thought the official language of Brazil was Spanish, i thought Spanish language was used in alot of south America, wow thank you for letting me know that, but you speak a lots of international languages, but i have a question the Portuguese used in your country is it similar with European Portuguese ?
Spanish language is spoken in all Central and Latin America, less than French Guyana (French speaking country) and Brazil (cause it was once under the ancient Portugal reign). My surprise was, when I travelled to Brazil for the first time, in 2009, that Spanish is not the second Brazilian language, in spite of Brazil being the main Mercosur country. Portugal and Brazil share the same language and syntax, but the pronunciation, some spelling points and many words vary.

In the United States? Oh, my. The official census says there are over 350 languages spoken here, even though a lot of people insist that English is the official language. (It's not. It's just a commonly spoken language. Spanish and Chinese are spoken quite frequently as well among Americans.)
To be honest i didn't know there is this much languages spoken in United States, and the only language i thought it is used in United States is English and Spanish, 350 is a lots of language.

I'm glad that I only have one language in my country, but there are many dialects that people speak depending on the region. Because the closer the border is to another country, those people use many words of that country and it already becomes a dialect

13,138Threads
98,706Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member