How many years of compulsory schooling do you have in your countries?

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
D Bucks
💵1.767625
Referral Credit
In my former country, only 10 years of schooling are compulsory (until a few years ago, it was even worse, as only 8 years of primary school were compulsory) what I find very unsatisfactory, as it means lack of complete High School. Especially nowadays, when even workmen are required a degree. The true mishap, however, is the shameful cost of education in my former country, that forces many families to get rid of higher education. In my current country, things run better, as complete High School is compulsory and public education for free.

In my country education commences from a 2 year nursery, 2 years kinder, 6 years elementary added with Grade 7 then High School 6 years then up to Senior High. One kid finishes all these from age 3 up to 18,excluding the tertiary levels plus graduate and post graduate courses. What a life. I finished up to post graduate level but never became a millionaire Lol.

Nowadays, education hasn't the aim to turn us millionaires as it was during our grandfathers' days. The new aim is to preserve us from false choices, as my mother used to state. But is education in your country compulsory between 3 and 18? That's very good, very better than in my former country claiming to be first world, but staying behind fourth world countries when it comes to education.

Indeed education is important but unfortunately in the UK many students come out of university with a degree only to find they cannot get a job in their field and end up doing something totally unrelated. Years ago I remember I could walk out of one job and in to another the same day but I feel sorry for young people these days as when they apply for a job, dozens of other applicants go with them. It's a tough call these days to land the right job.

Here we have 6 years primary education and 5 years secondary education which means they can leave when 16 providing they go on to further education or get some kind of apprenticeship/job on leaving. If they don't they have to stay on at school until the age of 18.

Last edited:
Indeed education is important but unfortunately in the UK many students come out of university with a degree only to find they cannot get a job in their field and end up doing something totally unrelated.
And yet they are very much more lucky than Italian students, who get a degree (above all, Philosophy, Communication, Biology, Law) to get no job at all: nor in their field, nor whatever job. They even don't find a so called humble job, because in the job centers employees find tons of excuses (the worst excuse: you are too qualified to be a workman, a cleaning lady, a cashier, but the truth is: you are not acquainted to a politician, so you can work nowhere). It goes better for engineers, that in Italy find jobs among factories as workmen. In the case of teachers, they get a job in their field, but it's underpaid (like it happens Portugal). To get a well paid job in your field in Italy, there's no way but studying medicine.

Over here it is 8 to 9 years of primary schooling, then for secondary school it's 6 years. When you get to the university, it depends on the course you are studying. Some course mostly takes four years, while there are others that takes up to 6 or more years.

Over here it is 8 to 9 years of primary schooling, then for secondary school it's 6 years. When you get to the university, it depends on the course you are studying. Some course mostly takes four years, while there are others that takes up to 6 or more years.
It's more or less the same path as in Italy (the longest among all European countries). The path to became a teacher, until more or less 15 years ago, consisted into 4 years of a university course. Now it's 6 years of a university course and a trial run in a school for another year (the draft law in 2020 foresaw 3 years of a trial run in a school, very, very underpaid). The draft law in 2020 tried to establish a 400 euros of salary for teachers during the trial run and it's impossible to even survive in a country when the sole cost to rent a simple bedsit is 600 euros and more.

It's more or less the same path as in Italy (the longest among all European countries). The path to became a teacher, until more or less 15 years ago, consisted into 4 years of a university course. Now it's 6 years of a university course and a trial run in a school for another year (the draft law in 2020 foresaw 3 years of a trial run in a school, very, very underpaid). The draft law in 2020 tried to establish a 400 euros of salary for teachers during the trial run and it's impossible to even survive in a country when the sole cost to rent a simple bedsit is 600 euros and more.
Imagine not being paid during the trial period or being paid so little. They are still humans who have needs, and it's not their fault they are in the trial period. I can imagine how tough it would be for these teachers.

In the case of professional trainees like psychology students, architecture, law, etc., it's even worse than the teachers': in my former country, they usually aren't paid a single penny during the years of training and since 2016 the bosses oblige them to open a VAT(usually shamefully expensive and cumbersome because it carries tons of bureaucracies) because they want to escape from whatever responsibility towards the trainees. Trainees work very hard for free and no guarantee to pass the public examination after the training period is finished (acquaintance to politicians and university professors are often the sole condition to pass and begin to work in their field).

13,073Threads
98,378Messages
304Members
dalibiLatest member