• We are deeply saddened by the tragic events at Donald Trump's rally today. Please keep the victims and their families in your thoughts and prayers.

How much ideal emergency fund should we have?

Reaction score
D Bucks
💵7.422000
Referral Credit
When we prepare a budget, an emergency fund is one of the posts that should not be missed, how important an emergency fund is so that we must allocate 10%-20% of our income every month and a time period or deadline where we can stop allocating some of our income to an emergency fund. . So how do we calculate the total emergency fund we should have?

In my case, I do not count how much would I allocate for the emergency fund. I just included it as part of my savings program. It seems a good idea to allocate a certain percentage for that purpose. I may take a consideration of it.

@Starmix, Whatever it means, you have implemented a budget well or allocated a portion of your income, then you just need to adjust it to your financial conditions and monthly needs. Emergency funds cannot be predicted when they will be needed or used because they are only used to finance events that we never want.

When we prepare a budget, an emergency fund is one of the posts that should not be missed, how important an emergency fund is so that we must allocate 10%-20% of our income every month and a time period or deadline where we can stop allocating some of our income to an emergency fund. . So how do we calculate the total emergency fund we should have?
I keep my emergency fund into my savings and it's very difficult to estimate an emergency fund. All depends on the severity of the crisis we face.

I keep my emergency fund into my savings and it's very difficult to estimate an emergency fund. All depends on the severity of the crisis we face.
Economic crises often disrupt our finances, making them even more shaky. In my opinion, that's still very good and a sign that your finances are still healthy because there is still a surplus between income and expenses, even though you still keep an emergency fund in your savings.

Economic crises often disrupt our finances, making them even more shaky. In my opinion, that's still very good and a sign that your finances are still healthy because there is still a surplus between income and expenses, even though you still keep an emergency fund in your savings.
I don't have any surplus after managing all the expenses.

I don't have any surplus after managing all the expenses.
I understand your situation, this is relatable but then you can still try to save even a little every time you spend by cutting off excesses when purchasing .

I understand your situation, this is relatable but then you can still try to save even a little every time you spend by cutting off excesses when purchasing .
I have started saving but not much.

Even though we don't have a formal formula for determining the amount of an emergency fund, we do have a benchmark for calculating the ideal emergency fund that we can apply to each person depending on the amount of expenses each month. If
Single status ideally 3 times, spending every month.
If you are married and don't have children, ideally 9 times, spending every month
Married, has one child, 12 times expenses per month.

I save as much as I can because I know how it feels not to have an emergency fund. I was confined in the hospital for a few days and I had to borrow money to pay for my bills when I was younger. It is best to be ready all the time.
True, we must have an emergency reserve fund, so that when needed we have funds ready to be used for all urgent needs, but we don't need to save as much as you can so that other needs are not met, save in a balanced manner which is important to do regularly.

I try to save 5 percent of my salary every month just for emergencies. I need to accumulate enough funds so that I can live for a year without working and use only these funds and then it will be enough, but after that I just plan to reduce the interest to 1 per month

I try to save 5 percent of my salary every month just for emergencies. I need to accumulate enough funds so that I can live for a year without working and use only these funds and then it will be enough, but after that I just plan to reduce the interest to 1 per month
That's good, if you have saved 5% of your monthly salary just for an emergency fund, so if you want to be able to live for a year without working, that means you have to collect 12X (multiplied) your monthly expenses and this is the fund you need.

To be honest I don't really do much calculations when it comes to things like this, cause this has never really been my strong suit. I just simply save as much as I can.

10,471Threads
84,004Messages
269Members
Revolved101Latest member
Back