• Only 2 Weeks Left! Help Discussion Bucks Win the $200 Prize!

We need just 3 more referrals to qualify for the $200 prize in the Agora forums referral contest. Your support is crucial—every referral counts!

Click Here to Support Us!

How Not to Get Scammed as a Freelancer

Nomad

Moderator (Earnings Enforcer)
Staff member
Earnings Enforcer
Gold Supporter
Literary Virtuoso
Registered Member
Solutions
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵2.282313
Referral Credit
Freelancers working online often encounter various scams. Common scams associated with freelancers include clients refusing payment after service delivery, clients disappearing after work completion, clients not providing the agreed-upon compensation, and clients requesting multiple revisions. Have you been scammed, what are your precautions against scams related to freelancing?

One way to not get scammed as a freelancer is by simply requesting for more than half of the agreed payment or at least half of it. This would show how serious the client is towards the job.

I am not doing freelance writing, I am only writing poems and short stories, and yes, you are right, there are scammers doing that. I was a victim. After I submitted 3 very lengthy poems and one lengthy fiction, the site no longer appeared on the web. I was thankful I didn't pay $20 for each poem and $25 for a short story.

Almost all freelancers have been cheated or not received payment after the work has been completed, therefore we need to be careful not to accept jobs that are too easy with tempting wages/rewards because in my opinion this tends to lead to fraud. Do research, verify before accepting work, carefully check the work contract and you should only use trusted freelancer platforms.

Scams related to freelance work are so common and devastating. One way to deal with those clients that refuse to pay after you submit work is to work in freelance platform that offers the escrow system for receiving money. That way, the site can help mediate on any issues that you experience with payments.

Also, always check the reputation of the client. Most sites will have that included in the Clint's profile. Avoid those clients that have shady reviews.

I heard about even worse things: customers complaining of poor job/service with the recruiting site staff. Probably, a way to avoid the payment. In such cases, when a false statement of this kind occurs, the freelancers lose reputation, in addition to money. And the truth is I haven't the least idea how to avoid such circumstances (out of reviews about that specific customer, whenever they exist).

It's like a rite if initiation for almost every means of earning money online. Even those with a lot of experience fall prey to being cheated once in a while. One of the rules I saw a few days ago on Reddit says that you should request for payment when 80% of the work is done.

There are even some clients that would have gotten the job from the freelancer but will refuse to pay them

Freelancers working online often encounter various scams. Common scams associated with freelancers include clients refusing payment after service delivery, clients disappearing after work completion, clients not providing the agreed-upon compensation, and clients requesting multiple revisions. Have you been scammed, what are your precautions against scams related to freelancing?
Some times it is hard to do those works, and some times scammers try to play with you and makes you mad, but i think the best way is read some review about them and do some researches before doing any things.

Yes, as online freelancers, we risk not being paid after providing our services. Perhaps we can look into your employer's reputation. Check to see whether he or she has a LinkedIn account or any ratings that will assist you in evaluating whether or not he or she is legit. Consider reading reviews as well. Look for reputable websites where you can do so. Before beginning a project, you may request a deposit, too.

I have been scammed several times like this and therefore am very careful now about taking up freelance work.

11,941Threads
92,348Messages
285Members
BorisKirwaLatest member