• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Just a heads-up: I'll be updating the site on Saturday, September 21, 2024, around 7 PM Eastern Time. The site will be temporarily offline during this process, but I'll make sure to back everything up before starting. Thanks fords8!

How to Determine the Ideal Emergency Fund Amount?

Reaction score
D Bucks
💵11.289700
Referral Credit
To be able to maintain our personal finances, we really need to have an emergency fund. Emergency funds are not needed now but are for the uncertain future, so they will be very useful when we lose our job, there is a pandemic, natural disaster, etc. So the benefits of emergency funds can also avoid debt. Emergency funds are also very useful during a crisis, reducing stress.

If a family member is hospitalized the emergency fund is required. I recently maxed my credit card paying the hospital charges. Business expenses are more predictable and can be controlled, medical expenses can be very high.

To be able to maintain our personal finances, we really need to have an emergency fund. Emergency funds are not needed now but are for the uncertain future, so they will be very useful when we lose our job, there is a pandemic, natural disaster, etc. So the benefits of emergency funds can also avoid debt. Emergency funds are also very useful during a crisis, reducing stress.
Good rule of thumb (at least here in the U.S. - I don't know about other countries offhand) is to have about 1-2 months of cash available in case of an emergency or if you're laid off/fired/disabled.

Basically, take your bills for each month and add them up, then add about 5-10 percent on top of that and try to save that much for a rainy day.

Emergency fund rules are not standard, so each person can apply different methods, depending on their needs. The 1-2 month method will be very suitable for single people's lives, while for families without children and families with children the method will also be different.

Emergency fund rules are not standard, so each person can apply different methods, depending on their needs. The 1-2 month method will be very suitable for single people's lives, while for families without children and families with children the method will also be different.
That's why I said it depends on where you live and your income and so forth.

12,042Threads
92,890Messages
288Members
gwolf666Latest member