Is public college free in your country?

In my current country, all public education is for free (including books, food and drink at school until the last year of the High School and in the cases of extreme poverty, transportation is also for free), since the primary to complete university. In my former country, all is shamefully expensive, even the last years of the primary public school (there are tons of governmental taxes, even if in the case of extreme poverty, students can attend school for free and can borrow books from the school library). When I was a child, even the very first years of the primary were expensive, at the point my mother stopped to purchase some school materials like felt-tip pens (and the result I was lacking school materials was bad marks :mad:). Imagine how expensive is a college in my former country (depending on the chosen subject, a single year may cost even 4000 euros of tuition and then there are also expensive books and transportation). In my former country, education is mostly a luxury for rich, wealthy people and high-middle class.

Yes, not all public schools are free. They have to pay a certain amount but not as big as exclusive/private schools or colleges.
Public schools in our country are all FREE. There is no single centavo to spend from Grade 1 up to Senior High. Even in public colleges, tuition fees are free. I am teaching Physics at a university owned by the national government and tuition is free. All universities owned by the national government even the University of the Philippines, tuition fees are free. The small amount requested from the parents is for their registration and entrance fees.

Do you have to pay to attend a public college in your country? How much is the payment per semester, if there is one?
Public or government college in India does have fees but less compared to private colleges but it's difficult to get admission into government colleges. You have to have good marks in your previous examination and the entrance test is quite tough.

Nope they are not free over here, for some they might be free to some extent but you would either pay an extremely reduced fee or pay a certain amount first.

Our public college is free only for those who passed the exams very well, almost to the maximum score, but not everyone has the opportunity to study for free, because the number of each department is limited, so they choose the best among the best, and the rest pay a fee, but it does not matter how they passed the exams

For tuition, yes, it's free, but there are still some miscellaneous fees at some public colleges here in our area.
I'm supposing the books and other material in your country (exercise-books, pens, pencils, etc.) are not for free, as meals in the school and transportation is not for free :cry:

13,176Threads
98,912Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member