Passenger's power bank in airplane's cabin, forces emergency landing

Solutions
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵6.772700
Referral Credit
A passenger's powerbank that exploded in mid-flight forced a commercial airplane to have an emergency landing on Monday night. According to the news, the incident occurred on a flight from Boracay bound for Shanghai. Smoke from the device engulfed the front portion of the aircraft and passengers went to the back.

It was said no one was hurt but the aircraft had to land in Hongkong. Philippine civil aviation regulations provide that only power banks with 27,000 maH are allowed on board. They are supposed to be in the cabin with the passengers and not in checked-in luggage.

It is very important to maintain the security and safety of the passengers. When you travel, do not place your Powerbank in the checked-in luggage, place it in the cabin near you.

Thanks for this, I was not aware power banks could also become a problem in an airplane. What was the reason for the power bank exploding though? Was pressure or something else?

Thanks for this, I was not aware power banks could also become a problem in an airplane. What was the reason for the power bank exploding though? Was pressure or something else?

Just imagine the check - in luggage it's near the plane engine. It's ignited by the heat unlike if its placed in the cabin near you because it's fully air condition inside the plane.

When I see how airplanse fall down because of one electrical relay, I would forbid all charges in airplane. You can't know when somebody device will broke electric circut and some important relay.
That's true, I saw on TV a passenger plane caught by fire and it landed crazily and the reason was a celfon was charged inside the plane open. There are hard headed people despite being announced by the crew to put off celfons.

Not a good thing. Hate to see stuff like this happen. This is probably the reason why America's flight policies have it that if you carry a battery above a certain strength, they are required to know and tell the pilots where they are at, so that they can give that information to fire marshals if something happens.

I also hate to see people not following the orders from the plane crews. I encountered one time, a Chinese passenger who continued charging his celfon and was unmindful of the announcement but he was caught and reprimanded.

Sometimes! We need to be very careful and make sure we follow instructions to avoid putting other people in detrimental situations. Small things that does not matter can lead to heavy loss or loss of life.
That's so true. Some people are insensitive, careless care free, and never think about danger. They're self centered individuals, bad influence.

That's so true. Some people are insensitive, careless care free, and never think about danger. They're self centered individuals, bad influences.

I could not agree more. Some people really are insensitive. They do not care about the welfare of other people. They just think about themselves.

I could not agree more. Some people really are insensitive. They do not care about the welfare of other people. They just think about themselves.
When I boarded on China Airlines for New Zealand one Chinese was caught charging inside the plane and it's in the highest altitude, so risky. Thankful someone reported it to the flight attendant and the young Chinese was reprimanded.

You know humans are just selfish like that. But we can always look out for one another by reporting those that are trying to break rules that can endanger our lives too.

13,176Threads
98,912Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member