Red eared slider turtles posing a threat.

Reaction score
D Bucks
💵2.167950
Referral Credit
Red eared slider ( RES) turtles are very much sought after in the pet market. They are cheap and look good in the aquariums at home. But then many of these pets have been abandoned by the owners later into the city lakes in the city of Bengaluru in India. Their population has increased exponentially and now it's a big concern for the environmentalists. Various lakes in the city are invaded by them. And the species is a voracious carnivore that feeds on indigenous flora and fauna. It competes with them. They have actually become a threat to the native species flora and fauna. Since the lakes and water bodies are inter related, it might be the case that they will spread to other water bodies too outside the city in no time. Experts and Researchers see it as an alarming thing. RES turtles have competitive advantage over indigenous species as they mature early, are aggressive a, have big adult body size and higher fecundity. Studies from Europe has shown that they have negatively impacted indigenous species in many places.
Now, there is a huge threat for Ecological imbalance. And all because of some irresponsible behaviour by few pet owners. Share your thoughts

Why would pet owners behsve that way. They need to get these out of the way for people convenience
That's a very irresponsible behaviour. They should not abandon them in these water bodies outside. I think that many of them might not be aware of the consequences it brings. Hopefully, there is awareness and they refrain from doing so. But already a lot of damage has happened. Wishing that the researchers and ecologists will come up with some solution soon.

That's a very irresponsible behaviour. They should not abandon them in these water bodies outside. I think that many of them might not be aware of the consequences it brings. Hopefully, there is awareness and they refrain from doing so. But already a lot of damage has happened. Wishing that the researchers and ecologists will come up with some solution soon.
My point exactly. We need to improve on the way we do things as individuals. We would always need to exhibit refined character

@Augusta @Sanjeev . I agree with both of you. People do so many irresponsible things without thinking of the huge negative impact it can bring. People become short sighted and don't see beyond their limitation. They fail to understand that any ecological imbalance will sooner or later impact everyone. We all need to do our little bit to help us save the environment and maintain the balance.

I think that many of these people might not be aware of the consequences it might bring. Awareness is the issue at times. They would have left them thinking that they might be better now in the natural habitat. I also think that government should take measures to control these turtles from being sold in pet trade.

13,211Threads
99,099Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member