Sharing with you my favorite story: A Rose for Emily

Solutions
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵7.024300
Referral Credit
In recent decades, our society has made significant progress in embracing and upholding human rights while rejecting prejudice and discrimination. Although injustices towards people of different races or genders still exist, such behavior was more prevalent and tolerated in the 1930s. Back then, specific actions were legal and promoted, contributing to the ridicule of those seen as inferior; A Rose for Emily revolves around the life of an isolated socialite. It shows the difference in mannerisms towards specific individuals, especially one particular character in the story whose presence speaks volumes despite having
no dialogue.

The story is set in 1894 in a small Southern town and revolves around Emily Grierson, a reclusive and mysterious socialite who has recently passed away. As the townspeople gossip, they begin to remember events from her life. During her youth, Emily was highly isolated, especially as her other family members did not seem to reach out to her. She is then seen with a man named Homer Barron, a dark Northerner who works as a foreman in construction. The townspeople gossip about their supposed relationship, expressing clear disapproval, and eventually, Homer disappears under mysterious circumstances. Many believe Emily to have killed herself after this event. Instead, Emily lived alone and was hardly seen outside, as her servant took care of her household duties. After Emily's funeral, the townspeople decided to visit her and discovered the decomposing body of Homer Barron in one of the beds. Evidence suggested that Emily had killed him and had been sleeping next to his body for years.

The story is incredibly compelling due to its isolation, society, and discrimination themes. Emily's isolation from the community led her, to some degree, into insanity, prompting her to kill Homer and even sleep with his corpse until her death. Because of her high status and how the townspeople saw her as noble, it is safe to assume that they decided not to question her isolation. This is a common motive for those of the higher class, who are seen as untouchable and even worshipped to some degree due to their extensive wealth. However, despite Emily’s reclusive behavior being tolerated by the townspeople, what was doubly interesting was their reaction when they discovered that she had purchased arsenic from the local doctor after Homer’s disappearance. Despite her excuse to kill rodents, the description from the way she tells him, seeming distant yet hesitant, should have been somewhat of an indicator that there was something more ominous afoot, with the people believing that she plans to commit suicide. But, due to societal differences, no one has decided to personally come and check on her to check on her well-being, instead gossiping about her suicide and the fate of her wealth and establishment.

Lastly, the story does not shy away from visualizing discrimination. From the beginning, we see Tobe, Emily’s African American servant, being criticized and looked down upon. He becomes one of the main conflicts within the story. Before her death, many townspeople complained about a stench surrounding the Grierson estate. Many immediately assumed that the primary source of the smell, coming from her servant, who works in the kitchen, was a clear act of racism. The discrimination extends to Homer Barron, Emily's love interest, with gossip circulating about Emily being involved with a man of color. Furthermore, discrimination continues when it is revealed that Homer has no interest in marriage. Additionally, the story hints at Homer possibly being homosexual, a concept that was highly marginalized at the time. A Rose for Emily" illustrates how our perception of people different from us has evolved. In the 21st century, we prioritize understanding and appreciating our differences. While it portrays the tragic descent of a woman into madness, the story also sheds light on society's closed-mindedness. This narrative is valuable for comparing our modern views on others, highlighting our generation's
commitment to combating inequality and embracing empathy.

Last edited:
Mate,I know you are a good writer maybe you need to look into writing frictional ebooks and selling on Amazon
Thank you, mate, but I have not found a good site yet. I may do it this summer, I will have two months of summer vacation good to do finding the site like that you mentioned.

Thank you, mate, but I have not found a good site yet. I may do it this summer, I will have two months of summer vacation good to do finding the site like that you mentioned.
Yea Amazon is a great place to start, or even platforms like Wattpad. I believe nomad once made a post about it before.

Yea Amazon is a great place to start, or even platforms like Wattpad. I believe nomad once made a post about it before.
Yeah I remember it but I'm not yet ready this time. I will do it during my two months summer vacation.

Go ahead with it , just research for good sites and see how you can do more writing to start making good money

Go ahead with it , just research for good sites and see how you can do more writing to start making good money
Yeah, we all want to earn much and wanna share with you the site should I find one. It's stressing earning too small. We need big money for Christmas.

13,206Threads
99,078Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member