Will automation lead to mass job losses?

Answering your question on the topic, I believe it would lead to this, cause there would be no need for manual workers, at the same time it might also create other jobs. These machines would need servicing and repairs.

Answering your question on the topic, I believe it would lead to this, cause there would be no need for manual workers, at the same time it might also create other jobs. These machines would need servicing and repairs.
In this case there would be more services for engineers or programmers who work with automation, little by little I am noticing that things are becoming more automated in some jobs in the country, for example they are adapting so that machines can do the job and in the future I believe that the blue-collar workforce will not be as necessary.

In this case there would be more services for engineers or programmers who work with automation, little by little I am noticing that things are becoming more automated in some jobs in the country, for example they are adapting so that machines can do the job and in the future I believe that the blue-collar workforce will not be as necessary.
At the rate we are going, the same engineers and programmers will be other robots. Machines will be previously programmed to repair their fellow machines. No need of human jobs at all. I foresee a social and financial collapse. But probably my generation won't be still alive to see.

At the rate we are going, the same engineers and programmers will be other robots. Machines will be previously programmed to repair their fellow machines. No need of human jobs at all. I foresee a social and financial collapse. But probably my generation won't be still alive to see.
I hadn't thought about this, but it makes perfect sense with the advancement of artificial intelligence, robots can and will easily replace human jobs, it seems to me that we will experience the movie I Rob.

Very true, with how things are going at the moment, I believe it might end to this. At the moment the engineers and does in the science department are even having more opportunities compared to arts.

Yes, it will lead to job losses. In fact, it already is happening in a lot of industries. It is a sad reality, to be honest.
That's the truth, it's already happening if care is not taken it would take over a lot of jobs.

If the governments won't study a solution, I foresee the multiplying beggars in the streets. The multiplying of people hunting for food in the baskets of the dust in the streets as it yet happens to the homeless. Obviously, no job means no salary. When people don't come from a wealthy family, able to make a living as rentiers (or even a middle-class family, able to survive through the stricter downshifting), no way. They must work to survive. And how they can survive if robots and AIs steal all the available jobs?

Yes, it will lead to job losses. In fact, it already is happening in a lot of industries. It is a sad reality, to be honest.
True, but there will also be job gains as you will need people who know how to build/repair said machines.

No job ever lasts forever; each generation should be striving to ensure that succeeding generations aren't stuck in the same kind of jobs from generation to generation.

True, but there will also be job gains as you will need people who know how to build/repair said machines.

Robotic industries will find the way to overcome such a need: they'll build robots that are able to repair machines and other robots without any human help, I'm sure...

No job ever lasts forever; each generation should be striving to ensure that succeeding generations aren't stuck in the same kind of jobs from generation to generation.

That's all OK for many youngsters (when it happens they aren't breadwinners, what unfortunately it happens in a lot of geographic areas): they usually have the time and facilities to get the right degree, being useful in the new market. But what in the case of the breadwinners? Especially when they are 50 years old and more? Could they return to the university to study robotic engineering to get ready for these new requirements of the market? Who would sustain their families and household while they are engaged in the university again like a teen? That's the humans' world: changes are used to favour specific generations and meanwhile disfavour the other...

they'll build robots that are able to repair machines and other robots without any human help, I'm sure...
Sci-fi writers were exploring that idea for years, usually with terrible consequences for humans (Skynet, anyone? -- Anyone read Isaac Asimov's Foundation and I, Robot series?)
But what in the case of the breadwinners? Especially when they are 50 years old and more?
You'd be surprised at how adaptive people are to new surroundings; just ask anyone who ever served in the military for over 20 years how they felt after returning to civilian life, for instance.
changes are used to favour specific generations and meanwhile disfavour the other...
I go back to what I said earlier - every generation has advanced on the shoulders of the previous generation; what you're proposing is that we freeze human development so that future generations can't advance....I believe someone wrote about that once....

The horror we all instinctively feel at these stories is the intuitive recognition that men are not uniform, that the species, mankind, is uniquely characterized by a high degree of variety, diversity, differentiation. -- Murray N. Rothbard, "Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature", Modern Age (Fall 1973)

Sci-fi writers were exploring that idea for years, usually with terrible consequences for humans (Skynet, anyone? -- Anyone read Isaac Asimov's Foundation and I, Robot series?)
I'm actually an Asimov fanatic:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I go back to what I said earlier - every generation has advanced on the shoulders of the previous generation; what you're proposing is that we freeze human development so that future generations can't advance....I believe someone wrote about that once....

No, I'm not proposing nothing about freezing human development. I'd only promote a development fitting each generation, both young, middle aged and old. For ex.: humans and robots collaborating and sharing the same environment. Another example: government incentives to let middle aged to return to the university without having to worry about how to financially support their families.

You'd be surprised at how adaptive people are to new surroundings; just ask anyone who ever served in the military for over 20 years how they felt after returning to civilian life, for instance.
Unfortunately, in my geographic area people are unfamiliar with military life (and my former country is the same, when we aren't children of militaries), so not the least idea...
Unfortunately, in my former country, middle aged who lose their job fall in a desperate situation, forced to live on their parent's pensions (if they are so lucky to have them still alive). In my former country, better said, in the city where I was born and its surroundings, I assisted to the deplorable sight of unemployed people forced to search for food in the public dust baskets. I'm not kidding. Even a friend of mine ended up homeless, forced to sleep among abandoned trains.
Unfortunately, my former region is not meritocratic at all. It's not like USA. If you weren't born in the right family (it means well acquainted, especially with politicians or wealthy well known professionals like doctors, accountants, etc.) or you don't own a degree qualifying you to teach, or worse, you only have completed primary school (in my former geographic area, it's very common among people that were born until 1975 to only have finished the primary), you must forget to get a new employment, if you lose the one you previously had gained. Employers always say you are too old (in their turns, employers are penalised by the tax laws if they hire people above 24 to 29 years old).

Last edited:
We just have to expect that . Because some jobs can easily be done without human efforts and that's it.
I am really worried about that. The way the technology is coming, the people wouldn't get jobs in the near future

13,201Threads
99,061Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member