Website
conversations-ii.freeforums.net
D Bucks
💵0.522100
Referral Credit
Global Connector Emblem NFT [Common]
(The Guardian) Marta to retire from internationals
From Reuters
: Brazil’s all-time top scorer in both men’s and women’s football, Marta, will retire from internationals this year, the 38-year-old striker said ahead of the Paris Olympics.

Marta, who has been playing in the United States with Orlando Pride since 2017, hopes to make her sixth appearance at the Olympics at this year’s Paris Games.

“If I go to the Olympics, I will enjoy every moment, because, regardless of whether I go to the Olympics or not, this is my last year with the national team,” Marta told CNN in an interview on Thursday. “There will be no more Marta from 2025 in the national team as an athlete. I am very calm about this, because I see with great optimism this development that we are having in relation to young athletes.”

Marta, affectionately known as “Queen Marta”, is the all-time highest scorer for Brazil with 116 goals in 175 matches. She is also the top scorer in the Women’s World Cup with 17 goals, finishing runner-up in 2007. She has won three Copa America Femenina titles and was part of the Brazil team that claimed silver medals at the 2004 and 2008 Games.

Marta began her club career with Vasco da Gama, with spells at Swedish sides Umea IK, Tyreso FF and Rosengard. In the U.S., she has also played for Los Angeles Sol, Western New York Flash and Gold Pride.

That's impressive, I think she is also satisfied with her achievements as well.
Yes, there's time for everything. She has done well. so she can take a bow now
Marta has paid her dues. And she is rightly heralded as a true great and legend of the beautiful game.
Agreed; she's earned her place in soccer legend.

That said, I didn't care a damn bit for her when she played - especially when the Brazilians faced the U.S. women - because everytime they did, there'd be at least one incident btwn. Marta and the U.S. players where the least touch sent Marta diving to the pitch like she'd been shot with a .50 caliber machine gun round.

I remember this one incident in 2012 during an exhibition match prior to the London Olympics where Marta tried to get past U.S. defender Meghan Klingenberg; Kling steadfastly refused to let her get past so Marta pulls the dive bit out and acts like Kling fouled her. While the Brazilian technical staff is working her, Klingenberg is standing nearby, looking as though she wants to throttle Marta for time wasting , is joined by striker Abby Wambach and midfielder/captain Megan Rapinoe - it is said the collective death glare Abby and the two Megans' gave Marta would've cut through plate armor on a naval warship. :LOL: :LOL:

From that day forward, anytime the two sides faced off - especially during World Cup matches - it became a running gag the American broadcasters would use during their intros going into the matches.

Marta will be remembered as a hero. She was able to build a legacy in your country. She is famous in the world.
That's right this is why it is good to be great in your endeavors. you would stand out and always be remembered

That's right this is why it is good to be great in your endeavors. you would stand out and always be remembered
She will also received cash incentive from their government for making their country great. I am so sure coming soon to follow her footsteps.

She will also received cash incentive from their government for making their country great. I am so sure coming soon to follow her footsteps.
She deserves all of that as she made her country proud. They have been recognize already

In my own opinion Marta will be given a reward by their government and plaques for recognition. She will also live on interest. I have read a section that she will receive a life time pension grant from an anonymous billionaire.

All the same she has done well for her self. I know she would be proud to have had achieve her dreams which is the most important thing
Marta has been able to win everything there is to win in her football career. She can take a bow. True legend.
Marta will be remembered as a hero. She was able to build a legacy in your country. She is famous in the world.
As I stated earlier, I have no problem w/her accomplished; she's earned her place in women's soccer.
I just don't care for her as a person. Big difference between the two.

13,210Threads
99,092Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member