• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Heads-up! The site will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, September 21, 2024, starting at 11:00 PM UTC (7:00 PM Eastern Time). During this time, the site will be temporarily offline, but rest assured, everything will be backed up beforehand. Thank you for your understanding!

- Fords8

Depreciation and Amortization to Reduce Tax Burden

Reaction score
D Bucks
💵11.474700
Referral Credit
Depreciation and amortization are methods for reducing assets but depreciation focuses on tangible assets such as office equipment, production machines, buildings etc. while amortization focuses on intangible assets such as patents, goodwill, brands, etc.

In general, the lifespan of office equipment is five years (depending on tax regulations in your country), so if you buy a laptop for office/business equipment for $1000 then if we calculate depreciation for five years using the straight line method the annual depreciation is $200 as operational costs per year which will reduce the profit before tax in the income statement. So have you applied depreciation to your business?

There's nothing to depreciate in my business. I am so sure those big businesses and at the university where I work the admin mandated the property custodian to compute the depreciation value to be presented to the Commission on Audit (COA) , since our university is owned by the national government.

No, there's no table on my business only the cash registers. People buy and go the space rented is good only for the stuff and staff. But in other malls, the mill tea sellers rented a bigger space where tables and chairs are there. I disallow it for it requires additional staff. I am still adjusting and observing the flow of sales.

12,076Threads
93,092Messages
290Members
Medo24Latest member