• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Heads-up! The site will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, September 21, 2024, starting at 11:00 PM UTC (7:00 PM Eastern Time). During this time, the site will be temporarily offline, but rest assured, everything will be backed up beforehand. Thank you for your understanding!

- Fords8

Do you prefer to purchase a new or used device?

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
D Bucks
💵1.408275
Referral Credit
We know, when it comes to purchasing a device (whether computer, whether notebook or netbook, whether mobile), that we spare money if we go for an used item. However, the matter is to purchase a device full of issues, not at all in a good state. So I go after Black Fridays, sales and medium-low featured new items, even if I don't reject the possibility to go for an used device in the future, if the ones I yet own can't be repaired.

For laptops I can only afford to purchase second hand gadgets because I am making very great losses at present due to the government slavery, financial fraud on online workers, investors since 2010. Even for branded desktops, I can only afford used gadgets.

For laptops I can only afford to purchase second hand gadgets because I am making very great losses at present due to the government slavery, financial fraud on online workers, investors since 2010. Even for branded desktops, I can only afford used gadgets.
I'm so sorry for such a misfortune. I suppose tax laws in your country are cumbersome and burdening like it happens in mine and like in the center and south Europe (even worse: I got horrified discovering only 2 days ago that Italians could be compelled to open an expensive VAT even if they engage in PTP forums or online surveys, when they can't rely on a principal classic offline job). The mishap is south European governments assume in advance that online tasks and in general freelancing is in itself a true source of richness. The important thing, needing to spare money, is to find second hand items not needing tons of maintenance and repairing.

We know, when it comes to purchasing a device (whether computer, whether notebook or netbook, whether mobile), that we spare money if we go for an used item. However, the matter is to purchase a device full of issues, not at all in a good state. So I go after Black Fridays, sales and medium-low featured new items, even if I don't reject the possibility to go for an used device in the future, if the ones I yet own can't be repaired.
I don't buy used devices or electronic goods at all. We have to keep them repairing.

I don't buy used devices or electronic goods at all. We have to keep them repairing.
That's the other side of the coin: if we aren't lucky enough to find a second hand device in a good state. My brother in law was forced to spend a fortune on an used device he had received and the repairing cost him the amount of a poorly featured new notebook :cry: .

I experienced buying a second-hand PC. It was the recommendation of my IT friend and he was the one who assembled the parts and my PC was like a new one. If lasted for 8 years and bought it very cheap only $ 30.
That's good to know that you have an IT friend who recommended to buy the used laptop because he knew for sure how to assemble it so he was confident it will be a worth purchase.

When purchasing, I always prefer new over used products. because I've been scammed once, and it traumatized me, and the more reason for having trust issues with used products 😅.

That's good to know that you have an IT friend who recommended to buy the used laptop because he knew for sure how to assemble it so he was confident it will be a worth purchase.
Yes, and my friend was the program coordinator of BSIT in Cagayan de Oro College Phinma Education Network. But he resigned from that college after he was offered a better IT-related position in Qatar.

That's the other side of the coin: if we aren't lucky enough to find a second hand device in a good state. My brother in law was forced to spend a fortune on an used device he had received and the repairing cost him the amount of a poorly featured new notebook :cry: .
A person sells a used device just because it's not working well. So we have to keep repairing it.

Sometimes, it also happens people sell their devices because they simply don't fit their needs any more, even when their devices are in a good state. For ex., a graphic designer needs a heavy video editing app, but his/her device is too old to support heavy apps (for ex., he/she needs a notebook counting on a memory of12 GIGAs, but his/her old notebook counts on only 4). So he/she sells the notebook to a student who only need to browse and study PDF books. Maybe to work on micro tasks too, so a memory of 4 GIGAs in an old notebook is enough. In any way, we must be lucky enough to know such a circumstance, to not purchase an used item needing maintenance and repairing in a row.

When I didn't have an online job yet, I used to buy used gadgets. I couldn't afford it back then, but it was OK. In fact, when I was in college, I sold secondhand iPhones to help pay for my school. Now, I prefer to buy a brand-new one because of the warranty.

When it comes to purchasing devices like phones, laptops or tablets, I tend to lean towards buying new models. There's just something appealing about being the first owner and having that fresh-out-of-the-box experience.

You can't compare brand new products with fairly used products. If not because of economical conditions, i will not near fairly used products. I have used brand new clipper and it have last for 8 good years! There is no comparison between new and fairly used.

If you are talking about Apple equipment, I can also buy used, but with Android phones or Windows computers, this will not work, so I buy such devices new
A Linux device can be worth a fairly used item purchasing. Linux is used to fit many devices during a very long time. Even some 20 years old devices still work if Windows gets substituted by Linux.

12,049Threads
92,921Messages
288Members
gwolf666Latest member