Do You Resign First or Accept an Offer First?

Solutions
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵2.013388
Referral Credit
When transitioning to a different line of business while working for a corporation or company, should you resign first or look for a new job?

I always search for a new job before quitting my current one to ensure a smooth transition and avoid unemployment.

After getting a new job offer, that's the only time you make an effort to announce it to the organization.

Why I am saying this, 8 years ago, it happened to me. It put me into financial trouble for 8 long months. I resigned first instead of looking for a new job before the resignation.

Accept an offer first from the new company and submit a resignation letter to announce you got a new job. You don't need to be as detailed but make sure to put it in writing that your final day of work will be 30 days from the day you will resign.

The last time I resigned from a job, It was to start my own business and I had negotiated sources of work enough to keep me busy before I even considered that. My manager should have known that when he cancelled my attendance to a training class with the excuse the company could not afford it and a few days later came into work in his brand new Porsche that I was not going to shrug it off.

It's best you search for a new job and secure it if possible before leaving. It won't make sense to quit your current job only to go and start finding another one.

It's commonsense wise to accept the offer first but you have to know first their salary scheme, paid holidays, maternity leave with pay and others before signing an acceptance contract. After doing it then resign.

When transitioning to a different line of business while working for a corporation or company, should you resign first or look for a new job?

I always search for a new job before quitting my current one to ensure a smooth transition and avoid unemployment.

After getting a new job offer, that's the only time you make an effort to announce it to the organization.

Why I am saying this, 8 years ago, it happened to me. It put me into financial trouble for 8 long months. I resigned first instead of looking for a new job before the resignation.

Accept an offer first from the new company and submit a resignation letter to announce you got a new job. You don't need to be as detailed but make sure to put it in writing that your final day of work will be 30 days from the day you will resign.
I always tried to get a new job before resigning but it never happened. I had to resign first and then search for a new job.

If there is a better opportunity than the recent job, then why not resign, however, make sure that you'll also be hired by that next company. It will be a shame to come back to the previous company that you have resigned.

13,068Threads
98,350Messages
304Members
dalibiLatest member