Fruit flies invasion in Los Angeles. An interesting solution to the problem. More fruit flies to be left in the area.

Reaction score
D Bucks
💵2.167950
Referral Credit
The invasion of fruit flies in Los Angeles has become a matter of big concern. Three Mediterranean fruit flies were discovered during early October in the South Los Angeles as reported by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
These nasty agricultural pests have forced officials to quarantine 69 sq miles of neighborhood. Gardeners are urged to consume the produce at home and double bag any fruit scraps before discarding it. This will help to control the infestation to other parts.
Officials have come up with the aim of Birth control as a measure to stop the increase in these Mediterranean flies that are creating the nuisance. They plan to drop around 250,000 sterile male flies per square mile each week into the area. These sterile males will mate with females. The eggs would be tiny and infertile. The tiny eggs will not affect the produce and the population will be controlled.
It would be interesting to see the result. All sounds fascinating. Hope that the problem is resolved.
I read it in our local newspaper.
Here is the link online for the news

Last edited:
Pests are always a problem wherever they go, especially if there are plantations nearby, I hope this whole problem will be solved soon, by the way, you should leave a link about the news :)

Pests are always a problem wherever they go, especially if there are plantations nearby, I hope this whole problem will be solved soon, by the way, you should leave a link about the news :)
You are right.. Hopefully, they resolve the issue soon. It's heartbreaking if the produce goes waste due to pest infestation. So much time and effort goes in growing a produce.
I read it in our local newspaper. You are right that providing a link would be good. I would check if the news is available online and provide the link. Thank you for your suggestion.

I can imagine how the citizens would be feeling, especially due to health issues it might cause on the long run. What is the current situation of thing over there at the moment?

I can imagine how the citizens would be feeling, especially due to health issues it might cause on the long run. What is the current situation of thing over there at the moment?
I have not read any recent updates on the news. I will have to check out. Maybe the experiment would take few weeks before the results can be published.
I am not sure if there is any threat of health issues. Mostly fruitfly would be harmless. They just ruin the produce. I am not much aware of any health damage that they do.

13,166Threads
98,865Messages
305Members
GrumpyLatest member