Issuing a quit notice to a tenant? Legal timeframe in your country. | Discussion Bucks

Issuing a quit notice to a tenant? Legal timeframe in your country.

King Belieal

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Gold Supporter
Literary Virtuoso
Oct 1, 2023
D Bucks
💵0.608330
Referral Credit
Sometimes, landlords have one reason or the other to evict a tenant. In most countries, the law specifies that you must issue a quit notice at least 6 months to when you want the tenant to leave your property. Failure to do this would be treated as a violation and the tenant can press charges and win.

What's the legal framework to evict a tenant in your country?

Considering I live in the U.S., most of the eviction notices requirements are different from state to state, and have different requirements within those states, that determine the notice needed. Example being, in the state I live in, lease violations have a minimum of a 3 day advance warning of eviction; meaning, the owner has to provide written notice of eviction, atleast 3 days in advance, if there is some lease violation of some sort. Otherwise, failure to provide notice, is the same as allowing the individual to continue to rent the property, based on the last rent contract that was signed.

From what I can tell for my state law, once eviction notice is provided, the tenant generally has 15 days to comply.

Otherwise, regular eviction on an otherwise good contract where the tenant and owner are both obeying lease agreements and laws, notice of eviction requires to be sent in advance of notice to vacate, up to a minimum of 90 days in advance.

In my country, a tenant must be served a quit notice 6 months to the day you want him to leave whether or not he or she violates lease conditions. That is to enable him look for an alternative apartment. If he or she can't find an alternative apartment, you would have to allow him extra 3 months to continue finding after which his grace expires and you can throw him out.

I think it's legal unless in a situation where the landlord gives them quick notice a few days or even a week to the day he wants them out.

I think it's legal unless in a situation where the landlord gives them quick notice a few days or even a week to the day he wants them out.
The truth is that most people in Nigeria are ignorant and doesn't know the law. The others that even know the law are too poor and broke to pursue it.

The truth is that most people in Nigeria are ignorant and doesn't know the law. The others that even know the law are too poor and broke to pursue it.
That's true, and it's a pity that most times the law tends to favour the highest payer.