• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Heads-up! The site will undergo scheduled maintenance on Saturday, September 21, 2024, starting at 11:00 PM UTC (7:00 PM Eastern Time). During this time, the site will be temporarily offline, but rest assured, everything will be backed up beforehand. Thank you for your understanding!

- Fords8

What do you need to access funds from the account of a late relative?

Reaction score
D Bucks
💵0.300635
Referral Credit
Supposing a close family member just died unexpectedly and he or she hasn't mentioned who the next of kin to him or her is. And he has some substantial amount of money in the bank. What are the steps you can take to be able to access such funds?

You would need a will and a probate court order to access such funds in addition to the death certificate of the person. It is always a very tiring and cumbersome process.

You would need a will and a probate court order to access such funds in addition to the death certificate of the person. It is always a very tiring and cumbersome process.
You are absolutely right. Am in the process now. The whole process is very stressful. I have been to the bank more than four times after obtaining court order to access my late father's account.

In my country, the processing is very easy, if a relative, be it a brother or sister or even a parent, dies, then you need a death certificate from the hospital, you also need a statement of kinship relationship from the sub-district office. Next, you bring the file of your sibling who died. If your parents die then all their children as heirs need to come to the bank.

It took my cousins about 3 years to be able to access their late mom's account. So much bureaucratic processes. And banks don't want you to succeed because they would love to take this money too.

12,074Threads
93,039Messages
290Members
Medo24Latest member