Why is it difficult to talk about money with family and friends? | Discussion Bucks

Why is it difficult to talk about money with family and friends?

freelancermaria

Veteran Member
Literary Virtuoso
Oct 3, 2023
D Bucks
💵19.795813
Referral Credit
Bringing up finances with family and friends can be a challenge. As it can be perceived as boasting about one's success or wealth, it is often considered impolite and frowned upon in many cultures. However, the reasons for this taboo go beyond simple social etiquette. Money is associated with pride and shame. We can feel uncomfortable or uneasy when we disclose our financial affairs to those close to us. To avoid misunderstandings or hurt feelings, it is essential to approach these discussions sensitively.

Personally I don't like talking about my achievements to anyone, I prefer keeping quite about things.

People even find it offensive when you ask them how much they earn. I think that it has more to to with the general insecurity of people as regards finances. They think if you get to know how huge their pay is, you would start begging them.

lts because that money is most sensitive thing to talk to the family members or relatives. Most of them are very demanding in fact

For me, talking about how much money you earn or have is like talking about status. That's why it is seen as a sensitive topic, we talk about someone's purchasing power, and given how the economy is going lately, no one wants to talk about it.

At home we seldom talk about money. We mind each other's money. My sister is a banker and an investor, my other sister has a business in a school canteen and her hubby a seaman and mine from my salary and business. We don't talk about money and even my friends don't. It's a case to case.

Well, I will not find it comfortable talking about how much I esrn or asking anyone. So it would be better to forget about talking about it

It's not good to dispose how much money you have. They will be interested on you like borrowing big amount or rob you.

Yes, if you don't want incessant disturbance by family members and friends you should not disclose your money to them.

Yes, if you don't want incessant disturbance by family members and friends you should not disclose your money to them.
It seems impractical to disclose the money we have, what for? T brag or to be robbed? Let us always mind our tongue to be safe.

I have always been open about money related discussions with my family, even as it has to do with personal finances. I don't have an entitled family. Every member of my family is financially independent.

I think it is just uncomfortable to talk about how much you earn etc because people tend to treat you better if you make more money

If we have a lower financial position than the person we are talking to, be it friends or family, they will assume we will ask or borrow money from them. But if we have a higher financial position then we will be considered arrogant but stingy.

Money matters is confidential and what is the reason why disclose it to anymore, to brag or what? It is not good to hear though.

It seems impractical to disclose the money we have, what for? T brag or to be robbed? Let us always mind our tongue to be safe.
That's right aside family disturbing if you expose your monetary value too much you can get robbed

That's right aside family disturbing if you expose your monetary value too much you can get robbed
That's possible to get robbed because of boasting. There are envious minds who want to pull you back.

That's because most of the family members once they know your salaries they begin to depend on you on each and every responsibilities that need money.

• Like Button
Reactions: Starmix
That's because most of the family members once they know your salaries they begin to depend on you on each and every responsibilities that need money.
That's possible the family members might want to ask money from you not borrow, so lesson learned from the bubbly person.

The thing is that you don't even know who is who and exposing your financial details to others might lead to something sinister.