• Important Update from the Founder: After a year of growth, changes are coming to Discussion Bucks. Read the full announcement here.

• Just a heads-up: I'll be updating the site on Saturday, September 21, 2024, around 7 PM Eastern Time. The site will be temporarily offline during this process, but I'll make sure to back everything up before starting. Thanks fords8!

Why is Skype getting less popular?

Kross

Community Advocate
Literary Virtuoso
Registered Member
Reaction score
D Bucks
💵0.018498
Referral Credit
Skype was one of the first apps that people used for video calls. Far back 2009, people were already using Skype on their desktops to interact through video chats.

Seems WhatsApp, Telegram and other Instant Messengers introducing voice calls have made Skype to be less relevant? Do people around you still use Skype that much? What do you think is the reason why it's popularity is waning?

It has been a long time since I have personally used Skype or heard someone using it. Well, more and more options are available for people now. And mostly users would go for the ones that are easily accessible and provide more features and services in one product. I guess that that's the reason for WhatsApp to gain so much popularity in so little time.

Zoom is more practical than Skype. Even Telegram video calls are more clear and cheaper than video calls with Skype. WhatsApp video calls have more features too when compared with Skype. It was never going to win. It was just a pioneer that set the path.

These days people now have access to other ways they can make video calls and the likes. Whatsapp for example, it's extremely easy to do so. Then not to mention other apps like zoom and the rest.

Whatsapp has become extremely popular in the last few years, and most people prefer to use it instead of Skype. Also more people are using smartphones instead of laptops and desktops compared to a few years ago.

Whatsapp has become extremely popular in the last few years, and most people prefer to use it instead of Skype. Also more people are using smartphones instead of laptops and desktops compared to a few years ago.
But we also have Skype on Android. It seems that the Skype company didn't adopt the mobile market fast enough. But it is still number one for video calls in desktop.

Oh! I was not aware of the fact that Skype is available in Android. I have always used it on my desktop. Recently I have not used it as most of other people who want a video call send invitation through zoom or WhatsApp as they are convenient to use on phone. Most people like to use smartphones for video calls as it's convenient and can be used on the go

I also don't know that Skype can be used on Android. I don't know what happened to Skype but I remember that it was once the standard for making video calls. I think these conventionals were just able to market themselves more while Skype looked not interested in marketing.

Skype was one of the first apps that people used for video calls. Far back 2009, people were already using Skype on their desktops to interact through video chats.

Seems WhatsApp, Telegram and other Instant Messengers introducing voice calls have made Skype to be less relevant? Do people around you still use Skype that much? What do you think is the reason why it's popularity is waning?
I believe that the developer lacked creativity to implement it in the software, I used Skype a lot, I still like it, but I don't use it because people migrated to WhatsApp.

I never had any issues with the experience with Skype when I used it on my laptop. I have never used it on phone and can't comment on the user experience there. At times, people start using the new launches in the market and if they find it more convenient and more user friendly on smartphones, they stuck to it. I think that similar thing happened to Skype. WhatsApp and Zoom etc could provide that comfort to users being more mobile friendly.
But I have absolutely no complaints against Skype for their quality and service on laptop. I am not using it any more because my friends and colleagues no more use it and they send invitations on Zoom and WhatsApp

I never had any issues with the experience with Skype when I used it on my laptop. I have never used it on phone and can't comment on the user experience there. At times, people start using the new launches in the market and if they find it more convenient and more user friendly on smartphones, they stuck to it. I think that similar thing happened to Skype. WhatsApp and Zoom etc could provide that comfort to users being more mobile friendly.
But I have absolutely no complaints against Skype for their quality and service on laptop. I am not using it any more because my friends and colleagues no more use it and they send invitations on Zoom and WhatsApp
So even on personal computes, it has also lost relevance. I always wonder why the pioneers of innovation are always knocked of by new entrants over time. The issue of Skype losing relevance is a classic example of this.

That is just how life is, if you are to stay at the top of the food chain then you have to be tough and aggressive. So you need to consistently evolve and think of innovation that is for now and the next level generation. That is just how unfair the competition is if you do not keep up with market demands. Chat GPT was heavily marketed and it almost knocked out Google from the face of the earth. So has the likes of WhatsApp, Telegram, and Zoom. That is why Skype is no longer a preference because the features from Zoom, Whatsapp and Telegram are far better. The other one for official video interactions and communications is Teams.

So even on personal computes, it has also lost relevance. I always wonder why the pioneers of innovation are always knocked of by new entrants over time. The issue of Skype losing relevance is a classic example of this.
Yes, we even have examples like Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messengers. They also were pioneers, but lost their relevance over period of time with new entries... It is very clear that the pioneers and established brands too have to be on their toes to sustain themselves.

Updating itself and staying relevant to the market is very important to sustain a business. Skype was definitely the pioneer but then it couldn't stay up to rge demands of the consumers. Other players took away the business and it slowly lost its relevance.

12,043Threads
92,893Messages
288Members
gwolf666Latest member