Do you consider golden (and maybe silver) jewels as investment and/or savings?

In my country, pawnshops don't exist because our public federal bank acquired the monopoly of such a service and until I know, such a bank only works with gold and precious stones (diamonds, rubies, etc.).
My bad, your government is a total croc not giving a chance to people who want to operate a pawnshops business. In my country there are many pawnshops left and right. The government benefits taxes, but it's for the people.

My mother's family, as a tradition, used to consider golden jewels as investments for the future (to sell them after decades from the purchasing, to ensure the increase of their value). About the silver ones, my mother wasn't confident, due to their value very much below their golden cousins. I like to follow this family's tradition, but unlike my mother, I don't despise silver jewels. Just this year I had the opportunity to sell an used silver necklace at a good price to a customer of mine, who wanted to give a gift to her mother that loves silver jewels. And now I'm happy I'm seeing the price of the gold skyrocketing. What means golden jewels are an interesting investment.
Gold will become unreachable to some after the price rise. Yes, those who can afford it for them is a good investment.

Gold will become unreachable to some after the price rise. Yes, those who can afford it for them is a good investment.
I agree, as the price of gold continues to rise, it may become out of reach for some people. However, for those who can afford it, investing in gold can be a smart decision.

I agree, as the price of gold continues to rise, it may become out of reach for some people. However, for those who can afford it, investing in gold can be a smart decision.
Yes, only for those who have that purchasing capacity.

Yes, it's just happening in my country. The same necklace we paid 500 (local currency) in 2017, now costs above 1000. Golden jewels price redoubled after 7 years, so if this trend goes on, in 2030 only wealthy and rich people will afford a golden jewel.

One of my grandma's good habits, especially if she has money, is that she will immediately rush to buy gold jewelry and store it in a safe. I don't know what her purpose is, but when she needs money, grandma can sell it. I think gold is also very good as a hedge against inflation.

My bad, your government is a total croc not giving a chance to people who want to operate a pawnshops business. In my country there are many pawnshops left and right. The government benefits taxes, but it's for the people.
Another mishap of my country is monopoly in various sectors (in any way, we must take in account that private monopoly is very much worse than public monopoly, as a corrupted private company easily starts to steal from citizens, sending them bills that skyrocketed with no apparent reason), including pawnshops.

One of my grandma's good habits, especially if she has money, is that she will immediately rush to buy gold jewelry and store it in a safe. I don't know what her purpose is, but when she needs money, grandma can sell it. I think gold is also very good as a hedge against inflation.
Probably, your grandmother's purpose is exactly what you said: selling her jewels when she needs money, once the price of the same jewel increased too much.

Another mishap of my country is monopoly in various sectors (in any way, we must take in account that private monopoly is very much worse than public monopoly, as a corrupted private company easily starts to steal from citizens, sending them bills that skyrocketed with no apparent reason), including pawnshops.

Probably, your grandmother's purpose is exactly what you said: selling her jewels when she needs money, once the price of the same jewel increased too much.
That's a scary thing billed from a private company without knowledge of the owner the cause or origin of such bill. It's a scary thing.

Monopoly in any sector is detrimental to the economy and to consumers. When a single company controls a market, they have the power to set prices as high as they want, without fear of competition driving them down. This can lead to exploitation of consumers and unfair practices.

That's a scary thing billed from a private company without knowledge of the owner the cause or origin of such bill. It's a scary thing.
Monopoly in any sector is detrimental to the economy and to consumers. When a single company controls a market, they have the power to set prices as high as they want, without fear of competition driving them down. This can lead to exploitation of consumers and unfair practices.
In fact, there are tons of trials against the water supply company, that took the monopoly from the government. When the government was in charge of the water supply, all worked very well. Now, the people wait anxiously for the failure of that fraudster water supply private company. It should fail cause the countless trials. The pawnshops business monopoly is nothing compared to the monopoly of water and electricity.

In fact, there are tons of trials against the water supply company, that took the monopoly from the government. When the government was in charge of the water supply, all worked very well. Now, the people wait anxiously for the failure of that fraudster water supply private company. It should fail cause the countless trials. The pawnshops business monopoly is nothing compared to the monopoly of water and electricity.
There was also a monopoly here too , on our water system but it was made short when the city government ordered the private operator to quit.

It looks like the government in the Philippines shows concern towards fairness very much more than the governments in Latin America. You are lucky. Here it's all in the hands of tribunals.
The people here are also cooperating. There are many brave citizens here and the matter is always brought on the Facebook court that alarms the city government officials.

When private companies, driven by profit motives, take over such essential services, it can lead to concerns about mismanagement or missuse of those services if not kept strict check upon them in regular basis.

That's why a lot of people runs to the favelas in Latin America to get a house. In the favelas there aren't the common bills (no electricity bill, no water bill and a lot of times, nor rent to pay for the houses where to live). There is only the wifi bill.

That's why a lot of people runs to the favelas in Latin America to get a house. In the favelas there aren't the common bills (no electricity bill, no water bill and a lot of times, nor rent to pay for the houses where to live). There is only the wifi bill.
I've heard in many favelas, residents enjoy lower living costs and autonomy, which can be appealing compared to the high costs associated with formal housing. Community ties are also often strong in these neighborhoods.

I've heard in many favelas, residents enjoy lower living costs and autonomy, which can be appealing compared to the high costs associated with formal housing. Community ties are also often strong in these neighborhoods.

Yes, sure, but...unfortunately, it's not all sunshine and rainbows: people who live in the favelas are compelled to live near the worst drug traffic, gunfights and neighbours who play music from their stereo shamefully loud during the nights. Surely, not a big deal in the case you are the breadwinner of your family and you must wake up in the morning at 4 A.M., having spent sleepless nights in a row cause your neighbours' stereo at earsplitting volume.

Yes, sure, but...unfortunately, it's not all sunshine and rainbows: people who live in the favelas are compelled to live near the worst drug traffic, gunfights and neighbours who play music from their stereo shamefully loud during the nights. Surely, not a big deal in the case you are the breadwinner of your family and you must wake up in the morning at 4 A.M., having spent sleepless nights in a row cause your neighbours' stereo at earsplitting volume.
While there are advantages like lower living costs and strong community ties, the issues you mentioned can seriously impact residents quality of life.

12,114Threads
93,310Messages
291Members
esther1122Latest member